by TCRN Staff
From tomorrow until Saturday January 30th, the First Festival Urban Epicenter: Hip Hop and Urban Art for Peace will be held at the Children’s Museum in San Jose.
The backbone of the festival will be hip hop and various forms of creative expression, hence the graffiti and breakdancing.
Therefore, the Urban Epicenter version of the festival is a platform for urban artists of graffiti, music, video, dance and poetry to collaborate and show their work.
Urban Epicenter encourages freedom of expression and responsible communication, promotes art awareness and a lifestyle where respect for the environment and the people are the foundation for achieving better living conditions and revives a sense of community among young people.
Organized and promoted by Enrique Castillo, better known in the ranks of hip hop as Kingstar tico, and Dr. Leo, Dj much tusk, the Urban Epicenter, was supported by ProArte (Program for Performing Arts Development).
Calender of Events
- Monday, 25. 6 pm Opening of the festival. 6:30 pm Forum Art and Music as a tool to educate and Combat Youth Violence. 6:30 pm Conference Management and organization of cultural activities (registration cost ¢ 5,000).
- Tuesday 26. 6:30 pm Lecture: The Artists’ Rights in Costa Rica (registration cost ¢ 5,000). 7:45 pm Conference: Marketing and selling music online (registration cost ¢ 5,000).
- Wednesday, 27. 6 pm Workshop breakdance (registration cost ¢ 5,000). 7:45 pm Workshop hip hop (registration cost ¢ 5,000).
- Thursday 28. 4 pm Workshop graffiti (registration fee ¢ 2,000). 6 pm Film Forum: Style Wars (registration fee ¢ 5,000).
- Friday 29. Beatmaking Workshop 6 pm (registration fee ¢ 5,000). 7:45 pm Workshop for Dj (registration fee ¢ 5,000). 9:30 pm The Battle capital (skills of B-boy) Admission: ¢ 4,000. Special presentation choreographed breakdance groups and others.
- Saturday 30. From 11 am to 11 pm Donation of ¢ 1.000 for Haiti. Legendary DJ E (CR), Dj Kingstar (CR), Dj OPB (CR), Dj City High (CR), Dj Flake. B-boys: HandsPro (CR), B-boy Milo (El Salvador), B-boy Chamaka and Lil Nation, B-boy Demon (Panama). MC and bands: Funk San José, Unity Roots Band, Crypy 626, Sirius Layan and G. Termis and BeatsBoxers CostaRica (CR). Bacteria Sound Systems (Guatemala), Pescozada, Royal Academy and Santos (El Salvador); Gunners microphone (Honduras), EPHNIKO (Colombia), Kuma (Puerto Rico) and Ricky Vaz (Panama).