The Costa Rica News (TCRN) – It’s easy to take the humble potato for granted. This starchy root vegetable has been a diet staple of many societies for centuries. However, as well as being delicious, potato juice can also have some impressive health and beauty benefits.
Make the Most of Potato Juice
It is easy to make potato juice with a proper juicer. If you do not have a juicer, you can clean the raw potatoes and grate them finely by hand. Place the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze gently over a bowl to extract the juice.
Potato juice contains many beneficial properties including beta-carotene, vitamins A, B and C, potassium, sulfur and copper (more on that at http://viralcreek.com/benefits-potato-juice/). These can be utilized for improving health and well-being. Some key health benefits of potato juice include:
- Anemia – raw potatoes can be a surprisingly good source of iron and folate. This means they can help support the body in the healthy production of red blood cells, and can help treat or prevent anemia. It is recommended that you drink half a glass of raw potato juice, three times a day for at least one month. This can provide an effective natural treatment for anemia.
- High Blood Pressure – raw potato juice is a good source of potassium. This can help to regulate and lower blood pressure. Try drinking half a glass of raw potato juice before a meal, to stabilise blood pressure.
- Inflammatory Conditions – conditions that cause minor to severe inflammation, like rheumatism and arthritis, can be treated with potato juice. This raw juice is high in a number of anti-inflammatory minerals. To treat inflammatory conditions take two tablespoons of raw potato juice before breakfast each morning.
- Skin Irritations – you can calm irritated skin with raw potato juice. You can pour the juice into a bowl and soak extremities for relief. Alternatively you can slice raw potato and place it directly on the site of inflammation. This can be a good way to treat rashes, itchy skin and redness.
Picking the Right Crop
It is important to use the right potatoes when making juice. The nutrition of this root vegetable is mainly found in the skin, and the area just under the skin. Freshly picked new potatoes have the greatest concentration of these nutrients. Although you would not eat whole potatoes raw, you can use raw potatoes to make juice. This pure natural juice can then be used in a number of beneficial preparations.
- Studies have shown that potatoes can retain pesticides. This means if you are making potato juice it is a good idea to use organic potatoes whenever possible.
- Give the skins a good scrub with a brush to remove any dirt or possible pesticides.
- Avoid using any potatoes that are green or have sprouted, as they can contain toxic chemicals that can be hazardous to your health.
- It is best to choose the freshest new potatoes and use the juice straight away. If you do need to store potatoes then put them in a cool, dry, dark place. This will help to maintain the nutrients and prevent premature sprouting until you need the potatoes.
- Avoid putting potatoes in the refrigerator as temperatures that are too cool can cause the starch in potatoes to turn into sugars.
Harness the healing power of this powerful root vegetable now by making your own potato juice. This can be a cheap and easy way to treat a number of conditions and boost overall health.
The Costa Rica News (TCRN)
San Jose, Costa Rica