Recently, the President of Costa Rica, Carlos Alvarado, announced a series of measures regarding vehicular traffic during the COVID-19 quarantine, intending to avoid a massive contagion of this disease during the Easter days. This announcement was made by the Costa Rican president through a virtual press conference from the headquarters of the Presidential House.
In this sense, he specified that these new measures will be temporary -during the so-called “Semana Mayor” from the 3rd to 12th of April.
Also, it will include an extension of the sanitary vehicle restriction guidelines, as well as long-distance public transport coordination.
During this announcement, it was also announced that those who disrespect the regulations will be fined with ¢ 107,768, rendering the previous fine of ¢ 22,000 null and void.
What will vehicular traffic be like?
From Friday 03 to Tuesday 07 April:
– During the day, only authorized plates may circulate.
– All establishments must be closed (except those with sanitary operating permits) including face-to-face attention to the public. Only home services will be allowed.
– Long-distance public transport is restricted. Routes with distances greater than 75 kilometers may only have two services per day.
– Extended night vehicle restriction from 5:00 p.m. at 5:00 a.m.
– Daytime vehicle restriction from 5:00 a.m. at 5:00 p.m.: Vehicular traffic will be regulated according to the final number of the respective license plate:
* Saturday: vehicles whose license plate ends at 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
* Sunday: vehicles whose license plate ends 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8.
* Monday: vehicles whose license plate ends in 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9
* Tuesday: vehicles whose license plate ends 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8.
– Taken into account exceptional cases, the movement of vehicles and the transit of pedestrians are suspended.
– Access to supermarkets, food suppliers, grocery stores and health services and pharmacies will be guaranteed without time restriction, but the transfer by vehicle will be subject to the authorized plates by days.
– All public transport is suspended, except for special transport for essential productive activities and taxi service.
-In case of going to the supermarket or pharmacy by vehicle, only the following may circulate:
* Wednesday: vehicles whose license plate ends in 0 and 1.
* Thursday: vehicles whose license plate ends in 2 and 3.
* Friday: vehicles whose license plate ends at 4 and 5.
* Saturday: vehicles whose license plate ends at 6 and 7.
* Sunday: vehicles whose license plate ends at 8 and 9.
This measure implemented by the Costa Rican government aims to prevent a greater flow of people on the street. Besides, this measure complies with the guidelines issued by the World Health Organization, to contain the curve of contagions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.