The Costa Rica News (TCRN) – The chikungunya virus has been declared under control in the community of Chomes de Puntarenas, but the virus has now spread to Barranca and Miramar in the same province, confirmed the Ministry of Health on Monday.

The Director of Health Surveillance, Mary Ethel Trejos, said that in Miramar 15 cases were found, while in Barranca only one has been recorded.

TIP: Get our latest content by joining our newsletter. Don't miss out on news that matter in Costa Rica. Click here.

Trejos said that during the last week no new cases of chikungunya were treated in the Chomes area, indicating that it is controlled.

Health officials attribute this decline to the work undertaken by the city of Canton and the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (CCSS) to eliminate the Aedes aegypti mosquito breeding sites and educate citizens.

According to the Ministry of Health, the movement of people between the neighboring communities of Miramar and Chomes may have caused the new outbreak.

During the last two weeks of December the number of indigenous cases of this virus increased from 19 to 58. The other 23 cases came from the Garabito canton. (Amelia Rueda)

The Costa Rica News (TCRN)

San Jose, Costa Rica

LIKE THIS ARTICLE? Sign up to our newsletter and we will send you updates of our latest content as soon as they are available. Click here.

Previous articleFiber Optic High-Speed Internet Coming to Costa Rica
Next articleCosta Rican Restaurants Unite to Reduce Food Industry Packaging Waste
Creating a Conscious alternative news network that we feel the world needs. Pura Vida!