Costa Rican Coffee Continues to Reach Three Continents Even in Times of Pandemic

America, Asia and Europe are the continents to which 5,000 Costa Rican coffee growers manage to export quality coffee, even in times of crisis as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Practically between 50 to 60% is exported to the United States, 30% to all European countries, and 10% goes to Asia; specifically to South Korea, Japan, China and other eastern countries.

From March, even with the emergence of the Pandemic and until today, our nation has not stopped the export of coffee. Initially, there rather was, a significant increase in exports as a result of which clients in the United States and Europe wanted to make sure stocking the coffee in their cellars so as to roast it and have it on time for their customers.

TIP: Get our latest content by joining our newsletter. Don't miss out on news that matter in Costa Rica. Click here.

The coffee sector is expecting (in the context of Pandemic) that precisely now, occur the strongest export volume for the country, running from May to August. Coffee growers and exporters have not stopped working day by day, exporting every week and of course, this is beneficial for the country, but specially for our coffee-producing regions

Following the evolution of the current Pandemic, there has been a change in the behavior of consuming countries, according to global data. The greatest consumption of coffee is no longer in coffee shops but in supermarkets, where demand has increased considerably. The sale of coffee in supermarkets and even on the Internet increased, due to the electronic market offers.

Some interesting data about our coffee producers is that 30% are women, almost 90% of production is exported and the remaining 10% is marketed nationally. In general terms, Icafé (national coffee institute) reported the shipment of approximately 150 containers weekly between the months of March and June to the main consuming destinations for Costa Rican grain.

In a report sent to the Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic on measures to deal with the health emergency caused by the Pandemic, Icafé indicated that the ports where the product arrives maintain rigorous sanitary measures: New York, which represents 12% of exports to U.S; Oakland or Baltimore, which make up 35% and 13% respectively. For its part, Belgium – second country in importance for reception of Costa Rican coffee – maintains normal operations in its port of Antwerpen.

Relocate to beach work remote
Resonance has been created to bring together a community of digital nomads, entrepreneurs, innovators, wisdom keepers, alternative thinkers, mentors and light leaders from all over the planet to bridge the gap between demanding work and living a lifestyle that offers the opportunity to live and work in an environment that is nourishing and supportive.

LIKE THIS ARTICLE? Sign up to our newsletter and we will send you updates of our latest content as soon as they are available. Click here.

VIABeleida Delgado
SOURCETCRN Staff
Previous articleWhy the Japanese Wear Masks Long Before the Coronavirus
Next articleThe Central Bank of Costa Rica will put into Circulation New Banknotes of ₡ 20,000, ₡ 5,000 and ₡ 2,000 Printed on Polymer Substrate
Like you, we are tired of corporate media that is politically driven and one sided. So we decided to focus on news that’s important to people. We’re Creating a Conscious alternative news network that we feel the world needs and we need your help! We can’t do this without you! Support news and media that matters and that can help change our world!