How many Indigenous Peoples are currently in Latin America?

In Latin America there are currently 522 indigenous peoples ranging from Patagonia to northern Mexico, passing through different geographic areas such as the Amazon, Andes, Continental Caribbean, Lower Central America, and Mesoamerica.

By countries, Brazil is the one with the most diversity of indigenous peoples with 241, representing a population of 734,127. Colombia, with 83 (1,392,623 inhabitants) is the second country with the largest number, followed by Mexico with 67 (9,504,184) and in fourth position Peru with 43 (3,919,314 individuals).

TIP: Get updates on upcoming Costa Rican Retreats & Events by joining our newsletter. Don't miss out on what's happening around you! Click here.

At the other extreme are El Salvador with only 3 indigenous peoples (13,310), Belize with 4 (38,562 inhabitants), and Suriname with 5 (6,601 individuals). In the case of the insular Caribbean, such as Antigua and Barbuda and Saint Lucia, there is little data on the survival of native peoples.

Mexico, Bolivia, Guatemala, Peru, and Colombia bring together 87% of indigenous people from Latin America and the Caribbean. The remaining 13% of the indigenous population resides in 20 different countries.

Main Native communities

Five native communities with several million people stand out, such as the Quechua, Nahua, Aymara, Yucatecan, Maya, and Ki’che, and six with populations between half and a million inhabitants such as the Mapuche, Maya Q’eqchí, Kaqchikel, Mam, Mixteco, and Otomí.

Relocate to beach work remote
Resonance has been created to bring together a community of digital nomads, entrepreneurs, innovators, wisdom keepers, alternative thinkers, mentors and light leaders from all over the planet to bridge the gap between demanding work and living a lifestyle that offers the opportunity to live and work in an environment that is nourishing and supportive.

LIKE THIS ARTICLE? Sign up to our newsletter and we will send you updates of our latest content as soon as they are available. Click here.

VIAGuillermo Agudelo
SOURCETCRN Staff
Previous articleICT and ACOPROT Launch Employment Exchange with 24 Categories of the Tourism Sector
Next articleCosta Rican Biologist Wins Prestigious Award for Studying Dragonflies
Like you, we are tired of corporate media that is politically driven and one sided. So we decided to focus on news that’s important to people. We’re Creating a Conscious alternative news network that we feel the world needs and we need your help! We can’t do this without you! Support news and media that matters and that can help change our world!