The Costa Rica News (TCRN) – A producer from the Discovery Network was bitten by a poisonous snake during a visit to Costa Rica, and without the timely medical attention he received, the man would have lost his foot.
TMZ recently did a review of the incident that happened long ago, while Steve Rankin was in Costa Rica while scouting for the program, Naked and Afraid.
Basically, the program would leave two people ‘abandoned’ in the jungle, without clothes, to survive for several days.
Rankin recalled, “I was researching locations in Costa Rica. I was crossing a thick part of the jungle when I was bitten on the foot by a fer-de-lance. It is one of the most poisonous snakes in the world and his fangs pierced my boot.”
Rankin added that immediately afterwards his team carried him for almost 3 miles to a nearby town, where he was airlifted by helicopter to a hospital in San Jose.
Although doctors applied antibiotics and anti-venom, things got worse: “Five days later the skin on my feet they began to rot, so I underwent emergency surgery, where medical staff had to cut muck of the meat off of one foot.”
Subsequently, Rankin was moved to Los Angeles to undertake skin grafts and recovered without further complications.
The Costa Rica News (TCRN)
San Jose, Costa Rica