The Costa Rica News (TCRN) – Oddly enough, a total of 41 children in Costa Rica have swallowed a slug, a situation that put their lives at risk because this animal causes a parasite in the intestines of the child.

According to the head of the National Poison Control Center, Dr. Ana Elvira Salas, this problem usually occurs in the winter when the rains increase.

“When a child swallows or sucks a slug, it is critical to count 30 days after that to see if the child  begins to have vomiting or stomach pain. If these symptoms are noticed, they should go immediately to a medical center,” explained Dr. Salas.

According to the head of the National Poison Control Center, when a person eats a slug, the snail leaves behind the slime, which adheres to the walls of the intestines over a month, causing a reaction that prevents blood flow in this area.

“When the child reaches the emergency after a month, you must sometimes cut the damaged part of the intestine. This is a very alarming situation, so you have to take extreme measures when you have a child under your care,” said Dr. Salas.

Note that not all slugs have the parasite, but you have to remove the slime completely to stay safe. In our country, 70% of these animals carries the parasite and they can even be found in foods like lettuce.

In this situation, explained Dr. Salas, you should not eat the vegetables without washing them, and use chlorine to clean the places where there could have been a slug. Also, if you eat salads made with lettuce, cabbage or watercress, add vinegar and lemon.

The Costa Rica News (TCRN)

San Jose, Costa Rica

LEAVE A REPLY

Specify Facebook App ID and Secret in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for Facebook Login to work

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here